Los Angeles, a city of dreams and opportunities, also faces the harsh reality of combatting property crime. In 2022, the city reported a staggering 14,856 burglaries, making it crucial to prioritize the safety of our homes. Studies have shown that urban areas experience a higher incidence of burglaries compared to rural or suburban regions, with an alarming property crime rate of 157.5 out of 1,000 people for urban residents.
Nationwide, the United States witnesses a staggering 2.5 million burglaries each year, with a significant 66% of these being home invasions, according to the US Department of Justice. As we navigate the complexities of urban living, it becomes essential to take proactive measures to protect our homes and loved ones. In this guide, we will explore practical strategies on how to secure your home in Los Angeles. Here’s where to start.
How to Secure Your Home in Los Angeles
Securing your home is important to keep your loved ones and belongings safe. You will be well on your path to safety and security if you follow these suggestions. Here’s what you can do to avoid becoming a target for burglars, starting with installing a security system.
How Do I Set Up a Home Security System?
Installing a home alarm system is a straightforward method to keep potential threats away from your home. When choosing a security system, you must decide between a traditional wired system or a wireless alternative. Wireless home security systems can be installed by the user, even if they are wired systems. While installation processes may vary depending on the system and brand, most models follow a similar process.
How Do I Install a Wireless Home Security System?
- Install the home alarm system.
- Install sensors in your home including door sensors, window sensors, and glass-break sensors.
- Install motion sensors in corners or entranceways, where they can be seen from a wide angle.
- Place the cameras in key areas such as your front entrance, and any other major access points. When you install your security cameras, make sure that all angles are covered to prevent unseen attempts to access your home.
- Install the connected apps to your smartphone and/or other devices that you intend to use to access security, such as tablets.
- Connect the main panel to your Wi-Fi network.
- Add all the components of the system, such as sensors and cameras, and give them a name so that you can easily identify the source of alerts.
- Test the security system following the directions in the manual.
How to Install a Video Doorbell
Video doors can be used to protect the front door, which is a vital area. Installing a video doorbell will allow you to see, and possibly even speak to, people who are at your front entrance. This could include delivery people and visitors, as well as burglars scouting their next target. Video doorbells can also record and store video, which increases your chances of getting video evidence if you have a break-in.
It’s not difficult to install video doorbells. These are the steps you need to take:
- Determine whether your doorbell is wireless or wired.
- Connect the wires coming out of the wall from the existing doorbell to the smart doorbell.
- You can use an adaptor that has a wire to plug in the doorbell to a socket if you don’t already have it installed.
- Place fully charged batteries into the doorbell.
- Attach the mounting bracket included with the doorbell on the outside of your home. (This usually requires drilling holes in the wall and screwing it in. If you have a brick or stone home, additional hardware may be required).
- After installing the doorbell, the next step is to set up an app and an account so that you can receive videos for both wireless and wired doorbells.
- Track multiple devices by connecting your doorbell via Wi-Fi to your app and naming it.
- Test your doorbell so that you can receive notifications and video feeds when someone rings it.
How Should I Use Security Lighting?
The use of security lighting can be a powerful deterrent. It keeps them guessing as to when you are home, and it eliminates dark places where they could hide. You can set standard indoor and outdoor lighting on timers. You can use home and away mode to give the appearance that you are going through your daily routine. Home automation is always a good idea!
Installing Motion-Detector Lighting
It’s simple to replace existing wired floodlights with smart lighting that detects motion, just as you would do with an old standard lamp.
- Shut off the floodlights first at the service panel.
- Disconnect the wires and remove the floodlights.
- Splice the wires of the motion sensors with wire nuts after running them through the rubber gasket.
- Install the light in the box and position the gasket to keep it dry.
- By loosening the locknuts and moving the light to the desired position, retighten the locknuts.
- To activate the motion sensor, follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer.
You can use motion-activated lights or lights powered by external power sources.
How Can I Secure My Garage?
Garages are sometimes easier to target than our homes. Burglars are attracted to garages because they contain expensive items. Unfortunately, garages are often overlooked when it comes time to secure them. Let’s change this with these safety precautions which can help protect your car, tools, and other toys.
How to Use a Smart Garage Opener
Smart garage doors can provide an additional layer of security as they let you open and close the garage door from your smartphone. You can still open the garage door even if your opener is lost. If you realize halfway through work that you forgot to close it, you can also do so.
Garage door openers should never be left in vehicles. They could allow a thief to gain access to your home if your car is broken into. Secure your garage using a garage security system. For expert guidance on selecting and installing the right security measures for your garage and home, you may want to reach out to SafeHouse Security Consultants, who can provide valuable assistance in safeguarding your property.
How Do I Secure My Doors?
It’s not enough to just lock your doors. Don’t worry – there are simple steps you can take to improve the security of your doors.
Regular locks will not deter burglars who are already committed. Install deadbolts and lock all exterior doors to increase security.
Consider using a double-cylinder deadbolt if you have a glass window next to or on your door. This lock requires a key both inside and outside so that a burglar cannot reach through the window and open it. Use 3-inch screws on the deadbolt plate of any lock to prevent a burglar from ripping it out.
Install Smart Locks
Install a smart lock to take your security to the next level. Although the installation process will differ depending on the brand, the general idea is the same:
- If you want to remove the back of the lock, tape over the side with the key.
- Then, remove the thumb latch on the inside door by unscrewing and removing the lock. If there is an additional plate under the lock, remove it as well.
- The screws that you removed from your thumb latch can be used to fix the mounting plate of the smart lock in place of the thumb latch.
- Attach the smart latch using the adaptors included.
- Follow the product’s instructions to get the lock up, running, and connected to your smartphone.
Test the Strength of Your Doors
Hollywood has portrayed how easy it is for an FBI agent to kick down a front door. Unfortunately, some burglars will also break down doors to gain entry. What is the solution? You can make it difficult for them if you keep your doors in good condition or replace them with solid core doors.
Check the material. Is it metal or solid hardwood? What about the frame of your door? You may need to replace the doors if you notice any splintering. Solid core wood doors provide a much more secure barrier to your home.
It should feel heavier than the interior doors you have, which are hollow in most cases.
Do you have any windows on your door? Check if they are located within 40 inches of the lock. A thief can break the glass and open the door by reaching inside. Replace the door with one that is solid or the glass with shatterproof plastic.
Check your hinges while you are at it. The hinges should be placed on the inside, not the outside of the door. This is to prevent thieves from removing them. Heavy-duty ball bearing or butt hinges handle heavy doors better and eliminate the hinge as a vulnerability as well.
Keep sliding doors locked and secured. Sliding doors are an easy way to get in for criminals. Install safety bars inside the door to prevent it from opening. You can also add floor bolts and foot locks as an extra measure of safety. Covering your glass doors with plexiglass sheets will help slow anyone who is trying to break through. Install door sensors to be alerted when there is a problem.
How Do I Secure My Windows?
Windows are also a possible point of entry into your home. Locking your windows is a good place to start when it comes to security. Consider key locks for first-floor windows so that thieves cannot break them, reach inside, and unlock the windows.
Do you prefer to keep your window open? Install window stops to limit the opening of your windows and prevent anyone from climbing in. Install window sensors that, like door sensors will alert you of any problems and in some cases scare away burglars.
You may want to consider installing window bars on basement or first-floor windows if you live in an area with high crime rates. You can also use thin sheets of plexiglass to cover windows in areas that are vulnerable. This will prevent burglars from breaking them. Planting bushes below your windows (the more prickly, the better!) can make it seem as if breaking in is a lot of trouble.
How Do I Secure My Home Network?
Digital safety has become just as crucial as protecting your home. Hackers can steal your money and even your identity with ease. Securing your network, therefore, is an essential part of home security. Several setups can help you avoid many future problems.
Use Strong Passwords
It’s important to use strong passwords and change them if any of your accounts are involved in a data breach. You should use a password manager to keep it easy for you to use strong passwords without having to remember them yourself, and you should change them whenever your account is involved in a breach of data or a suspected hack.
Using password management software is a recommended best practice for enhancing password security. This software can assist you in generating strong and hard-to-crack passwords. By utilizing password management software, you can implement effective measures to protect your sensitive information.
Install Antivirus Software
Today, malware and viruses can do anything, from stealing passwords to logging the messages you type, to encrypting your entire computer. Antivirus is essential, regardless of how secure you believe your computer to be. You can save yourself the headaches and expenses associated with a hack by paying an annual fee of around $100.
Consider a Router VPN
By installing a VPN in your router, you can hide all traffic that passes through your network. This means no one will be able to see what you are doing online. A VPN not only enables you to bypass internet restrictions imposed by certain countries but also safeguards all network traffic, including visitors accessing your network.
Recap – How to Secure Your Home
There’s no doubt that there are malicious people out there. Thankfully, taking simple steps to keep ourselves safe, such as using a home security system and checking entry points can help secure your LA home. There’s nothing more valuable than a peaceful mind.
For personalized advice and expert assistance in fortifying your home’s security in Los Angeles, we recommend reaching out to SafeHouse Security Consultants. With their deep understanding of the local security landscape and extensive experience in the industry, they can provide tailored solutions and recommendations to meet the specific needs and challenges of securing homes in Los Angeles. Safeguard your home with confidence by consulting SafeHouse Security Consultants today.
Security Services We Offer
- Security System Assessment
- Residential Security System Installation
- Commercial Security System Installation
- Home Automation